To be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor, an individual must meet the following performance requirements:
1. Attend the seven IDC Curriculum Components including:
a. Course Orientation
b. Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
c. PADI Discover Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Programs
d. Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
e. Teaching Project AWARE and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialties
f. Teaching in Confined Water
g. Conducting Open Water Training Presentations
2. Present at least two evaluated knowledge development teaching
presentations and score a 3.5 or higher on at least one presentation.
3. Present at least two evaluated confined water teaching presentations
and score a 3.4 or higher on at least one presentation.
4. Present at least one integrated (two skills) evaluated open water teaching presentation and score a 3.5 or higher on each skill.
5. Demonstrate competence at performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation. Candidates must earn 68 total points, with no individual score below 3.
6. Score 75 percent or higher on the Assistant Instructor Standards Exam and have any missed questions reviewed until mastery is achieved. Scores less than 75 percent require a retest.
7. Successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment in open water.