You have 0 product(s) in your cart.
Open Water Scuba Diving Instructor Course
Utilizing state-of-the-art technologies, your PADI IDC in Sydney will only need one week away from work.
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course (IDC)
Abyss Scuba Diving is one of five PADI Five Star Career Development Center in Australia. The CDC classification is assigned to PADI Five Star Instructor Development Centres that dedicate their organization to the professional development of dive instructors.
Abyss Diving is proud to employ three PADI Course Directors on staff, including a Platinum and a female Course Director. Although the majority of PADI 5 Star IDC have a single Course Director, it has been our experience that our team-based approach to Instructor training is more effective because of the range of experience, teaching styles and personalities you are exposed to and learn from during your IDC.
Some PADI Course Directors require at least two weeks to prepare their candidates for the PADI Instructor Exam. Many candidates find this amount of time away from work difficult. Abyss Scuba Diving in Sydney now offers an IDC that requires only a week away from work.
- Three full-time Course Directors
- Australia's leading PADI Career Development Dive Centre
- Staff available for extra tuition if required
- Sydney's largest employer of Dive Instructors
- Pass Guarantee
- PADI Dive Against Debris Instructors Training within your IDC
After the successful completion of your IDC with Abyss Scuba Diving and then passed PADI Instructors Exam you will be qualified to teach:
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving
- PADI Scuba Diver Course
- PADI Open Water Course
- PADI Adventures in Diving Course
- PADI Advanced Open Water Course
- PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Course
- PADI Rescue Diver Course
- PADI Divemaster Course
- EFR Emergency First Response
- Project AWARE Specialty
- AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty
- PADI Bubblemaker and Seal Team
- Dive Against Debris Specialty Course
The Cost of Becoming a PADI OWSI -
-- EVE Shortcode -- Plus PADI Fees
To become a PADI OWSI, you need complete the PADI IDC as well as the Emergency First Aid Instructor rating. When looking at any IDC the total cost of becoming a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor then the entire cost must be considered.
(Paid to PADI at the IE)
What You Learn
During the course, you’ll learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentation integrating two skills
he IDC teaches you to conduct all PADI core courses. The key topics include:
- PADI Standards and Procedures for courses you can teach with in water workshops
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- Risk Management and Diver Safety
- The Business of Diving and your role as an instructor
- Marketing Diving and Sales Counseling
You will demonstrate competence at
- performing all twenty dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- performing a facedown, nonstop swim for four hundred metres swim & 10-minute Tread water.
During the course, you’ll need to demonstrate competency in dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring at least 75% on each part.
The Scuba Gear You Use
You will need to equip yourself with all the basic scuba gear as well as two scuba signalling devices —one audible and one visual.
To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organisation for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have sixty logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving to participate in the Instructor Development Course. You’ll need one hundred logged dives to take the Instructor Exams
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
PADI Instructor Development Course (7 Days)
Sydney is without a doubt one of the best learning environments in the Pacific Ocean to complete your Instructor Development. Buzzing with activity, our industry-leading training facility provides our professional team of IDC Staff with real-world knowledge of the diving industry, from entry level courses upwards. You will gain hands-on experience, training and working with our PADI IDC Staff, helping develop you into the best Instructor you can be. With over 20 years of experience in diver education, our experienced IDC Staff have developed unique and innovative instructor training techniques and specialized workshops, designed specifically to help ensure your success at your Instructor Examination.
Also included in your Instructor Program:
- FREE Scuba tank hire and air fills during your training
- FREE additional workshops on rescue techniques and diving skills.
- Job placement service and career counselling during and after your program.
- The largest team of PADI professional support staff in any PADI training facility in the state.
- Two Full-time Course Directors,
- Master Instructors, and IDC Staff Instructors available to help you during your training.
- A comprehensive choice of instructor-level continuing education programs.
- Additional study and support materials, for use free of charge, designed to aid your professional development.
Our team will provide you with quality training, in a professional, yet fun atmosphere, with unsurpassed support during and after your course. Through our extensive global network of dive professionals, dive centres and resorts, we are able to offer job placement services and career assistance.
Emergency First Response (First Aid) Instructor Training
Before gaining teaching status as a PADI Instructor, you must be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor. This training takes one day and is run during the IDC, before your Instructor Exam.
Master Scuba Diver Trainer Prep Program
A Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) is a highly experienced Open Water Scuba Instructor, who is more employable and capable of teaching a larger variety of PADI speciality diver courses. By becoming a Master Scuba Diver Trainer you'll add additional teaching certifications and experience to your PADI instructional wallet, adding variety to your instructional abilities, making teaching more fun and exciting for both you and your students!
This is achieved through the Master Scuba Diver Trainer Preparation Course, which teaches you how to deliver a range of PADI speciality diver courses. Your MSDT Prep Course takes place over the 5 days between when the IDC is completed, and the IE takes place giving you 5 additional Specialty Instructor ratings allowing you to teach a range of different courses.
Before applying to PADI for certification as an MSDT, you'll need 5 Specialty Instructor ratings (achieved during the MSDT Prep) and twenty-five student certifications.
If you select the MSDT Prep course, by the end of your program you'll be trained how to teach the:
- PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Enriched Air Diver Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Equipment Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Search & Recovery Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Oxygen Providers Specialty Instructor Course
Before receiving certification as an MSDT, you will need to apply to PADI. Associated application fees for this rating are paid directly to PADI after you are instructor certified. These are:
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Application Fee ($103.40 AUD each PADI specialty). Optional fees and only applicable if you apply for specialty instructor ratings
- PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer Application Fee ($125.60 AUD). You can apply for your MSDT rating once you have been certified with five additional Speciality Instructor ratings (as above) and have taught and certified twenty-five student divers.
With our dive centre being located just 20 min from the city we have a arrange of accommodation available from backpackers to Airbnb to suit your needs. Please let us know what you are looking for and we will help you find a suitable option.
It is possible to pay off the IDC between now and the beginning of the course. All you need to hold your position is to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500.
How To | Gear AssemblyIntroducing the PADI 'How To' series featuring helpful tips as you discover the underwater world. If you've […]
How To | Giant StrideIntroducing the PADI 'How To' series featuring helpful tips as you discover the underwater world. If you've […]
How To | Alternate…Introducing the PADI 'How To' series featuring helpful tips as you discover the underwater world. If you've […]
How To | Regulator…Introducing the PADI 'How To' series featuring helpful tips as you discover the underwater world. If you've […]