You have 0 product(s) in your cart.
The first step of the full PADI Tec Deep Diver course
If you're interested in technical diving, but haven't yet met the prerequisites for the PADI Tec 50 Diver course or PADI Tec 45 course, you can consider enrolling in the PADI Tec 40 course. It is the first subdivision of the full PADI Tec Deep Diver course and consists of the first four dives. Because you can do one of these dives in confined water (such as a swimming pool), many divers start the Tec 40 courses in the winter months, ready to continue in open water when spring arrives.
You'll Learn To
- Use decompression software and dive computers to plan and make decompression dives with no more than 10 minutes of total decompression and not deeper than 40 metres/130 feet.
- Use a single cylinder of decompression gas with up to 50 percent oxygen (EANx50) to add conservatism to the required decompression.
Since it's part of the course, your PADI Tec 40 course training credits toward the PADI Tec 45 and Tec 50 courses.
The Learning Materials You'll Need
You'll use the Tec Deep Diver Crew-Pak, which introduces you to
- tec diving lingo
- emergency procedures
- decompression and stage cylinder handling
- gas planning
The pak includes a manual, dive planning checklist and dive planning slate. The optional Equipment Set-up and Key Skills video on DVD is a great tool to help you practice at home in between your tec diving adventures. You'll continue to use the Tec Deep Diver Crew-Pak through Tec 50.
Gear You Will Require
The following is the equipment that is required for the Tec 40 Course
- Air supply: Any of the following
- Single tank with sling tank(can be hired and perfect for those who want to do basic deco diving)
- or Sidemount configuration (can be hired)
- or Back mounted doubles with dual isolator manifold
- Two complete regulators, one with a 2m hose for air sharing
- O2 cleaned Stage/ deco cylinder with first & second stage regulator with spg
- Two dive computers (can be hired)
- Jon Line (where the local environment requires it)
- SMB & whistle/audible signalling device
- Lift Bag (or DSMB)
- Exposure suit (appropriate for the environment)
- Knife & backup
- Backup buoyancy control if diving with twins.
Some of this gear can be rented from Abyss Scuba Diving, others such as SMB, reel, knife etc. will need to be purchased if not already owned. Please talk to us on an individual basis to work out your needs.
- Be a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
- Be a PADI Enriched Air Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
- Be a PADI Deep Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
- Have a minimum of 30 logged dives, of which at least 10 dives were made with enriched air nitrox deeper than 18 metres
- Have a medical form signed by your physician
The PADI Tec 40 course consists of knowledge development, practical application exercises, and 4 training dives and is conducted over 2.5 days, (Theory is Sunday afternoon (12 pm - 5 pm) , plus the diving on the following weekend
Due to very small class sizes and a required higher skill level for these courses, all technical level courses have a stricter cancellation policy.
- For all event cancellations, there is a $25 administration fee.
- If you transfer to a different day you will be required to pay any difference in course price in addition to transfer fees. No credits or refunds will be given if the new course price is a lower cost.
- If you Cancel or transfer to another course date within 3 weeks of the scheduled theory day for that course, a $210 fee will apply.
- If you fail to complete the theory homework or don’t meet the course prerequisites prior to the theory date, you will be required to transfer to another course date and a $210 fee will apply
- If you Cancel or transfer to another course date within 7 days of the scheduled theory day for that course, a $525 fee will apply.
- Once you have started your course, if you complete the course on different dates or are more than 20 mins late to any course day, you will be required to transfer and a $210 fee will apply.