You have 0 product(s) in your cart.
Buying Your Scuba Diving Gear
An Important Decision In So Many Ways
Advice on Buying Scuba Gear
When it comes to buying your scuba diving gear, it can be challenging to know when you should buy and what you should buy. Here are some guidelines as well as pros, cons and suggestions for both new divers and experienced divers to help you navigate your way around the dive store!
Is it necessary for me to buy scuba diving gear?
Usually, it is not necessary to own any of your scuba gear to start diving. It is certainly possible to rent your dive gear.
So why buy scuba diving gear if I can rent?
There are numerous positives to owning your gear; here are the main ones:
- Comfort and Fit: When you buy your dive gear, you’ll take some time trying on different sizes and styles to get the item that is most comfortable for you. This is important – a badly fitting rental BCD or leaking mask can take away from your diving enjoyment.
- Safety through Familiarity: When you have your gear you get familiar with it, you know exactly where everything is which increases safety – your SMB is in the same pocket as it always is; you know where your alternate air source is, and it’s easy to locate other accessories.
- Long Term Saving: Depending on where you are diving equipment, rental prices can vary considerably. If you are doing much diving then over a period time, you can make a considerable saving to the point where, in some cases, your gear can pay for itself.
- Dive Computers: Each dive computer has different settings, buttons, menu, functions and algorithms. Trying to figure out a different model of the rental computer each time you dive can sometimes be time-consuming and frustrating. Having your computer means you will get to know how it works and many computers record your dives and will link up to your laptop so you can transfer your logged dives instantly.
Get the best advice.
There are many armchair experts around, so it’s essential to get advice from someone who knows. Go to a dive centre, one that trains divers and talks to an experienced instructor, not a salesman. Ask the qualification and experience of the person you are talking to, and insist that they are experienced scuba diving instructors. Getting the right dive gear is an important decision, so put the effort into making it the right one.
One of the best things you can do before buying your own dive gear is to undertake a PADI Equipment Speciality Course.
When buying dive equipment, it is best to get that advice from instructors, not just salespeople who don’t even dive.
Our team of Master Instructors are diving experts who are either Dive equipment service technicians or PADI Equipment Speciality Instructor. Our staff will provide you up to date advice on the equipment that best meets your diving needs.
We also offer free of charge dive equipment consultations with our team of experts to help customise an equipment package to suit your needs.
Finally, Abyss have the Best Price Guarantee to ensure that you will not only get dive gear that meets your needs but that it will be at a price that you cannot beat.
Abyss Scuba Diving has the Best Price Guarantee for all gear we sell, and we are committed to providing the best value for money in Australia. The Best Price Guarantee does not apply to services such as Course, Trips, Hire & Servicing. The Best Price Guarantee must be read subject to these Terms.
- Competitor's product must be in stock and in the required quantities in a retail outlet located in Australia.
- The product must be identical (e.g. same brand, same model, same colour).
- The product must be paid for by cash or credit card. ZipMoney is not accepted without an extra fee.
- Adequate confirmation of competitor's current advertised price is required. We will not match the clearance product or products we do not stock.
- The competitor’s price must be publicly advertised and verifiable at the time of the price matching, and cannot include any volume, personal or membership discounts. We cannot match multi-item promotional offers like “buy one get one free” or bulk buying discounts
- We do not retroactively price match after the product has been ordered.
- No promotional offers or loyalty discounts can be used with a product which is price matched. In other words, discount vouchers cannot be applied to price matched products to receive a further discount.