You have 0 product(s) in your cart.
Abyss Scuba Diving
The Difference Between a Master Scuba Diver & a Divemaster
Master Scuba Diver, Divemaster, Master Scuba Diver, Divemaster… sometimes it all sounds the same, doesn’t it? You may ask, what’s the difference? While these two diving qualifications seem comprised of the same words, they are quite different.
If you’ve ever wondered what the difference is between a PADI Master Scuba Diver (MSD) and a PADI Divemaster (DM), let us explain.
Both qualifications indicate highly experienced and knowledgeable scuba divers.
If someone is a Master Scuba Diver, that means he or she has considerable experience and scuba training. Fewer than 2% of divers ever achieve this rating, which makes them an elite group.
- At least 12 years old (12–14-year-old earn Junior MSD)
- PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Diver certified
- PADI (Junior) Rescue Diver certified
- Earned five PADI Specialty Diver Certifications
- Have logged a minimum of fifty dives
- Complete application to be a Master Scuba Diver
A Divemasters help instructors teach scuba courses and can have leadership responsibilities that result in payment. Getting paid for scuba diving means you’re a dive professional.
Prerequisites to take the Dive Master course:
- At least 18 years old
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certified
- PADI Rescue Diver certified
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care completed within past two years
- Medical Statement ‘fit to dive’
- Forty logged dives before starting the course
- Sixty logged dives when finishing the course
What you must do to get this rating:
- Complete eight Knowledge Development sections
- Pass the Divemaster Final Exam
- Pass water skills exercises, workshops, and practical assessments
The best divemasters are also Master Scuba Divers.
Now you know the difference between these similar sounding names. As you can see, both qualifications indicate highly experienced and knowledgeable scuba divers.
The best option for a person who decides on becoming a Divemaster is to become a Master Scuba Diver first as they the dvemaster course will be easier and you will make a much better Divemaster because of the Master Scuba Diver training.